5/14/18 - Villa Angellica: The Never Ending Game of Charades

Made it through my first week in the field! Whoo!

It was hard to say goodbye to my District in the CTM. It almost felt like I was leaving my family again. 

I'm in an area called Villa Angelica. Our apartment is right next door to the church which is crazy cool! It's very fancy compared to all the houses around us and I have my own bathroom which is crazy. The Elders before us left the place a disaster so we've spent most of today scrubbing everything! 

Dogs are everywhere, and public garbage cans don't exist so everything is everywhere. We clap outside people's courtyards instead of knocking on doors, so that's pretty cool. I love how its totally normal to paint your house some crazy color here! 

The members here are amazing. We have a strong ward of about 50/60 people and more that are inactive. For the most part people are willing to talk about Jesus, but when they reject our message it's hard not to take it personally since the gospel is somthing so dear to me. However, I am learning a lot. 

The language is coming slowly, but surely. Dom de Linguas is so real! We had just made a contact and taught the restoration on the spot when the investigator was asking me questions about Estadois Unidos. I was able to answer and hold a conversation. As we were walking away I realized what had just happened and I turned to my comp and with tears in my eyes said, "Sister, Eu entende!" It was a miracle!

My Trainer, Sister A. Ribero is a native and doesnt speak Ingles. It's such a blessing because I'm forced to learn in order to keep my head above water. During language study I teach her Ingles while she helps me with Portugues. I adore her with all my heart. 

Water is scarce here. I'm trying to get used to washing all veggies with soap and buying water everyday. 

All in all things are great! The mission goals are high but we're striving to reach them. 30 new contacts a week, 12 people attending Sacerment meeting a week, 20 people with baptismal dates a week. If all goes well we'll be baptizing 3 people within the next two weeks.

I am constantly reminded of how muich I rely on the Savior. Though his Atonement I know I'm being made strong so I can communicate with the people of Brasil and share my Savior's love. 

Alma 26: 12

Sorry for the extra long email this week. I love you all!

Sister Emma Barlow

Comments

Popular Posts